This morning I met with the pharmacist informaticist, who is so amazing with the system and medication complexity, and learned how to manage the I&O according to how the medications are ordered. The system is so logical that it only displays a medication based on its dose (units, mg, ML, or mcgs). The medications are then pushed to the I&O for documentation if it is a volume - MLs. All the other medications (titratable or not) go to the IV drip band in the EMR. Confusing to say the least, but at least I now have good grip on where to access the smart pump library of all the drugs and libraries for every nursing floor including critical care.
Our meeting this morning focused on the weight calculations needed for ordering and profiling IV drips in NICU. This is so complex since a neonate's weight changes drastically in the first few weeks of life and the dosing parameters must reflect this fluctuation. My contribution to this discussion includes researching if we can limit the neonatologist's access to the order catalog of medications to only include neonatal specific meds.
Creatively, I am heading to my weekly painting class . . .
No comments:
Post a Comment