WELCOME!

Originally, this was tracking my progress to complete my master's in nursing program. I am now done and I want to track my artistic journey, so this will be my portfolio of sorts, blending my art and nursing together!


Thursday, November 3, 2011

What the heck have I been doing these past two days? Whew . . . yesterday I was busy from the get-go. I received a call from the help desk from L&D staff saying that a patient was admitted to the recovery room, however, the fetal monitoring strip was not showing - for 5 hours. I could not hold it in - I reinforced the correct process which is to sign into the system to double check that the paper strip running matches what is seen on the PC monitor. Once again, they did not follow process. The issue was a GE setting on the workstations that our technicians and their system engineer needed to troubleshoot. We shall see how long these settings hold.

Then I wanted to just stay at the hospital, but the rest of our team needed to conduct a meeting in our travel space. I grabbed a small salad and headed back to my office. I am glad I did as I got some things accomplished. Hopefully, this weekend I can finish my bibliography and work on our web page - it needs a serious overhaul. I ended up staying until 6 PM to clean up my email and get things done. 

Once I got home, I fixed a plate of pork and sauerkraut - even better than the first night! Creatively - not much occurred yesterday - but I managed to talk to my children and my mom doing a very old fashioned thing - use the phone! We organized Thanksgiving and it is pretty much the same as all the previous years . . . at my sisters.

Today, I attended a 2-hour presentation on active listening and constructive feedback this morning. It was a repeat of content presented in the Foundations of Leadership course I did last year. I tried to learn how to handle the frustrated people that call about computer issues and are so distracted or just plain rude to us . . . and instead of an answer, I had a resident rudely tell me what "I should do . . . which is provide them in person help 24 hours 7 days a week.." Wow . . . he also tried to tell me that patients die because of the computer. I reminded him that during medical emergency and code calls they need to use the crash cart and not the computer. He also pointed out the 700 million dollars the organization made and that we could in fact afford Apple computers! He could not relate to us "less educated" people. Wow . . . I was a bit off put by his attitude, but it was a perfect example of what we go through. The corporate education instructor tried to be diplomatic, but that was impossible with this resident. He has his agenda and I had mine. This was perfect example of silence versus violence. Guess which one I used? Exactly!

For lunch, most of the team went to lunch at a local restaurant and I managed to get the car serviced nearby, too (rear brake light, and windshield wipers all fixed).  That feels good to have the car readied for winter. A coworker picked me up and then brought me back to pick up the car when it was done. We finally took down all the Halloween decorations, too. Lots happening today.

Tonight - I met my commitment for school , but I am so burnt on writing papers. Really done and now need some serious sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment