WELCOME!

Originally, this was tracking my progress to complete my master's in nursing program. I am now done and I want to track my artistic journey, so this will be my portfolio of sorts, blending my art and nursing together!


Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Today was an early day so that I could participate in a teleconference about correcting the interface issue. Last week we updated our fetal central monitoring and the outpatient types did pull the patient out of the hold unit and place the patient into a bed. This was challenging because four different systems were involved to make the one work. Our registration system (STAR) is different from our primary health information system (Cerner HIS) and from our fetal monitoring system (GE Centricity Perinatal). Then we have an interface engine called Cloverleaf. Now all these players had a chat this morning to try and figure out what was wrong . . . let me just say this . . . GE knew exactly what was wrong, but becasue they scheduled our update last week when key personnel were on vacation, we had to wait a week before the issue was corrected. I look forward to the day we are a partner with Cerner and will implement all their solutions. Then we can sundown the GE system!

What did I learn:
  1. Check who is going to be on vacation - schedule around those "irreplaceable" people (system engineers & interface people on either side especially) 
  2. Have plan B - we had a work around for the staff to do a manual transfer of the patient from the undelivered unit into a bed
  3. Google anything - I cannot remember what the HL7 messages such as an AO11 means - dang - still can't remember at 1 AM - but I bookmarked them
  4. Be direct and specific with all email and information provided while troubleshooting - keep things very simple and restate next steps
  5. Make screenshots of everything and put that in with the request for change (RFC) paperwork - this just might help someone else or myself down the road
This took most of the day until we reconvened at 4 PM. Our interface specialist did not want us to put the fix into our production system then because if the "fix" breaks something else it is after hours and again - personnel will not be available. So, GE will be putting the fix in at 0800 today. My job is to notify the L&D unit and to ask them to check observations and admissions to see if the ADT interface is now working. Here's the rub - I am supposed to work tomorrow night teaching a medication reconciliation class form 6 to 9 PM. Another long day . . . 

So, back to schoolwork (I am so sick of writing papers - just thought I would share), I finally finished my paper and I think it is decent. We shall see what the instructor thinks when he posts our grades. That was my day . . . I don't think I can fit in much more. 

I do not think I did anything creative today . . . double dang!

No comments:

Post a Comment